Home

Thursday, September 25

Oatmeal Cookies with Honey

As I have said before, we changed the way we eat quite some time ago. Well, because of the economy, we have added back in a couple of things: A little rice (I have noticed that rice makes my joints hurt a bit, so we don't eat to much of this.), beans, and oats. I have also been using some lentils and barley in a couple of different dishes. It was a hard decision to make, but I had to do something.

Anyway, I thought that maybe I should start posting some of those recipes on here for the rest of you people. You might enjoy them, you might not. If anything, my Mother might attack them (I am ok with that :).

I hope that you (the readers) will be willing to share any recipes that you have that are NUTRITIOUS! I am raising growing kids and we only want super healthy. (hee hee, my poor kids)In other words, no white flour, no white sugar. The rest I can play with if needed.

Here is a recipe that I have started making for snacks. These are oatmeal type cookies that I have adapted to our style. The original recipe is here Healthy Oatmeal Cookies.

My Version:

Ingredients:
Dry:
1 Cup Almond Flour
1 1/2 Cups Oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg (optional)

Wet:
1/2 Cup honey
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (super healthy oil and you can't taste it after it's been baked)
1/4 Cup Applesauce (You can try canned pumpkin too, yum)
1 Tbsp Molasses (I have substituted real Maple Syrup, it worked)
1 egg (Sometimes it seems that I need one more, just see how wet it is)
1 tsp Vanilla

Add-ins:
1/2 - 1 Cup Raisins, Craisins, Dried Blueberries, or any dried fruit (just make sure it is chopped if it's big like apricots)
1/2 - 1 Cup chopped Pecans, walnuts, or any nut you like. (I stick them in a Ziplock baggy and hit them with a metal measuring cup.)

Directions:
**Preheat oven to 335 degrees F.
I put all wet and dry ingredients together in my KitchenAid Mixer and let it mix it until it is all incorporated. I then add in the Add Ins and mix it by hand. Put the mixture in the fridge for about 30 minutes, it makes it easier to handle (I have forgotten this step a few times and it still turns out great.) Drop by heaping teaspoons onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Press down lightly so you get a flat cookie. Bake for 15-25 minutes.
I get about 24 medium sized cookies out of this recipe. It depends on how much of the add-ins I put in. (Today I got 20)

These cookies were made with canned pumpkin instead of the applesauce. They also have walnuts and raisins in them:



I would love to hear what your favorite way of making these is. So, as you try this recipe, let me know what you do to them. I would really appreciate it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy-- the fam made a batch last night while I was out. And most of them are gone :)

Christine said...

Nice. What did you end up putting in them?


She's an attorney
and she's busy.
Much too busy for
blogging, anyway.


You can visit her
here if you need
representation.

And you can view
all her posts here.