Home

Wednesday, October 15

Better Say Thanks

"Thank y-" "YOU'RE WELCOME."

If there's one thing that I've grown to hate oh so much as I've been growing up and developing my own views on things, it's when you hold a door open for someone and they don't say "thank you". I HATE it. I mean, I'm a nice kid. Kids, especially teenagers, don't hold the door open for people unless they parents tell them to, or something like that. I always do it. And today, I think I figured out the main reason why I always hold the door open for people.

I'd like to say I'm usually a polite person, but that's not why I hold the door open for people. It's almost like I hold the door open for people just to see if they actually do say thank you. And if they don't, I can get all ticked off and go bitch about it to my friends.

So that's why I hold the door open for people, I figured out. It's not because I'm polite, but it's because I want to see if someone has the guts to be so rude. It's almost like my own test on people. If they don't say "thank you", I say "you're welcome" anyways. And I make sure they hear it, and make my voice sound extremely annoyed. Which I am.

So this is what happened today that helped lead me to this whole conclusion. I was walking out of the student center at my high school, and saw some young women who looked like a teacher walking towards the door. I held it open for her. She said "Thank you" very politely and walked through. There was someone coming in a few seconds after her, and they didn't look like they knew each other. I figured it'd be rude of me to hold the door open for one person and not the other, so I waited an extra three seconds for this guy who looked like he was in his mid fifties maybe. He walked through the door and DIDN'T SAY THANKS. Can you believe it? I couldn't. Every time someone doesn't say thank you I can't believe it.

So I said "You're welcome" letting the annoyance in my voice show. I just can not believe people. They're so rude. Anyways, I was walking back to class all pissed off now. And that's when I realized, I just hold the door open for people so they can not say thank you, and I can have something to think about. It's kind of weird, and might not make sense.

One time though, I held the door open for some woman, and she walked through. Her thank you came late, and I didn't think she was going to say it at the time, so I said "You're welcome" at the same time she said thank you. I really sounded like a jerk. It was kind of weird. It just proved to me that I'm waiting for people to be rude to me, so I can somehow set them straight, even if it's something like this. I think it's because I've never gotten in a physical fight with anyone but my little brother, so I have this thing for wanting to make people act the way they should. It's hard to explain, and now it just looks like I want to get in a fight.

So, yeah. If you're one of these people that don't say thank you, watch out for me. I'll kill you.

1 comment:

Christine said...

HAHA! Me too! I took Corey to the doctor the other day. As we were leaving, I held the door for some guy and his kid. The guy didn't look at me and smile, didn't say thank you, nothing. I was so irritated. I told Corey that when anyone, especially a woman, holds the door for you, you say thank you. I made sure to say it really loud and to say how rude the guy was. Arg. People can be so rude.


She's an attorney
and she's busy.
Much too busy for
blogging, anyway.


You can visit her
here if you need
representation.

And you can view
all her posts here.