Home

Wednesday, October 22

Reasonable? I Think Not!

A few weeks ago at school my cell phone was taken away. The bell rang, signalling the end of lunch, and I started walking to 3rd. Without really thinking, I took my cell out of my pocket and called my dad to ask him if he was picking me up from school.

I was still outside, and I wasn't really paying attention until I heard someone call "Hey!" ...Who was she talking to? "HEY!! HEY YOU!" she practically screamed. I turned around and this 50-year-old looking teacher was practically screaming at me from across the campus.

When we made eye contact she beckoned for me to come over to her. I quickly hung up on my dad, which I apologized for later, and walked up to her. Before I could say anything, she held out her hand to me, signaling for me to give up my phone. I wasn't going to give up my baby that easily.

"I was only talking to my dad," I tried.

"Doesn't matter," she answered in a very mean way that almost hurt my feelings. I still didn't want to give her my phone. She still had her hand held out towards me.

"Are you serious? Even if it was my dad?" I wanted to argue with her but I restrained myself. Barely. I thought about running away, but she had a golf cart.

"It doesn't matter, it's the rules." The rule was that cellphones had to be off and out of sight during school hours. Whatever. I wasn't ticked off. Not yet.

Not until I gave her the my name and the phone, and then she just WALKED AWAY. She didn't say something like "Come get this after school" or anything, she just TOOK it and walked away. She didn't say anything! I just stood there, this poor little freshman, dumbfounded and clueless. I felt as if someone had just robbed me.

I eventually found out that I had to have my dad go in and get it, our I wouldn't be able to get it until the next school day (just my luck, it was a Friday. I would have to get it on Monday). So my dad went in and retrieved it, and I was assigned my very first Saturday school. Saturday school is a four hour detention that you have to attend from 7:55a.m. on Saturday until 12 noon. And that really made me mad. I wasn't even in class yet. I mean, I could understand an hour after school, but four hours on a Saturday for being caught talking to my dad while walking to class?

So today I was in advisement and someone passed me this sheet with a list of people who already had four or more hours of detention (we're not even two months into school). There was only three people on that list, myself included. Besides being mad about having to eventually serve the detention, I felt this weird thrill. Now I know why bad kids are bad. That's besides the point, though.

Anyways, is it really reasonable for me to get a FOUR hour detention for being caught using my cellphone while walking to class talking to my DAD? Remember, I wasn't in class or talking to a friend. I was talking to my dad. Just sounds ridiculous to me. I'd serve a one hour detention for this, but four?

2 comments:

Christine said...

I think some teachers forget what it is like to be nice about some things. They get fed up and don't know what else to do.

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.


She's an attorney
and she's busy.
Much too busy for
blogging, anyway.


You can visit her
here if you need
representation.

And you can view
all her posts here.