Home

Friday, October 17

Going crazy political.

Well, I've gone and done it. I've gone and gotten all tangled up in politics and the election and Joe Biden's teeth and you know what this means?

I'M OLD.

This is the first year, since I turned eighteen and was officially able to vote, that I've been interested in the election. (Confession: I didn't vote in 2004.) I've been watching debates, doing a little research, reading a million personal opinions... and I can sum up everything I've learned into three little words. I'm still stupid.

However, I'm also uncontrollably angry and have had to cut off all communication with the people around me to avoid kicking someone in the balls teeth.

And I know what you're thinking... What's got Stephanie all hot and bothered???

It's proposition eight and everyone who thinks it's OKAY TO TAKE AWAY A PERSON'S RIGHT TO MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS! (Insert loud, frustrated scream here.)

I've always had a terrible way with words and getting my thoughts out in a coherent manner has never been easy, so I'm resorting to my thieving roots. The following are a list of comments that I've stolen from random people who commented on one of my favorite blogs.

"...That's what the whole separation of church and state thing is about. Taking religion out of our laws. No law can make you recognize a homosexual marriage as "right", only legal. Christ said "give to Caesar what is Caesar's". This wasn't just referring to taxes, but to the laws that the government imposes. Your beliefs are inherent to your life, just as mine are to my life. I would never try to make a law that forbade you from worshipping in the way you believe, so why would you want to make a law that keeps me from expressing my beliefs in the way i see fit?" -InfamousQBert

"...I wish more people would just see how ridiculous it is to deny equal rights to people based only on their sexual preferences." -Casey

"Our country was born on the premise of religious freedom; separation of church and state. You have your religious freedom and faith but that should not be imposed on anyone else. If I chose one rule from each religion in the United States, we could be a country with a ban on coffee, no electricity or cars, women without voting rights and children running helter skelter because use of birth control sends you straight to hell. Where should we draw the line?"

"Thing I really don't get about Prop 8 is... why do you care (those that support it)? I understand opposition or support for propositions that affect how much you'll pay in taxes, etc. But this one? No affect on you. Your perfect little marriage will still be there, just the same. There was an article in the Sacramento Bee the other day and they were talking about the Mormons around here that are giving up their life savings in support. I am sure they will still make it to the space ship behind the comet regardless of people they don't know who get to enjoy the benefits of legal marriage. As Heather said, it's a civil rights issue. So while we're at it, should we also make their votes only count 3/5ths? Make them ride in the front of the bus? Squirt them with fire hoses?"

"...Separation of church & state is precisely what allows you to embrace your religion so completely. If government were given the right to impose laws based solely on religious precepts or given the right to mandate a national religion - this would infringe upon your religious rights, as there is no guarantee that the government's religion would match your faith. You, as a result of free will, choose to believe in your faith, just as everyone else has been given that same choice to make - and it is not one that the government can or should make for you."

"...If someone's against gay marriage, I suggest not marrying someone of the same gender. That's really the only possible way it's ever going to affect one directly. Any other complaints towards it (even those religiously based) are bigotry, plain and simple. When Canada legalized it, they didn't devolve into into a hedonistic state of polygamy or bestiality, they didn't fight a civil war or religious revolution, and the role of religion did not diminish within people's individual lives. What do people really think is going to happen if gay people have the right to marry other gay people? I'm genuinely curious."

"...You both have the right to vote the way you want to. What you do NOT have the right to do, according to the Constitution of this country, is vote to restrict certain civil rights. I fully believe that even if Prop 8 passes, this will soon come in front of the US Supreme Court, and your vote will be determined unconstitutional."



I could keep going, but I suppose you catch my drift and probably have a fairly decent understanding of my feelings on the subject.

Now don't even get me started on abortion...

Please, please, please vote no on proposition 8.

9 comments:

Christine said...

I agree. The only thing that would bother me about Prop. 8 is the fact that they then want to teach the elementary aged kids (we are talking young kids) about gay sexuality.

Otherwise, I totally agree.

Christine said...

Oh yeah, I could be totally wrong about what prop 8 contains. But, I think that's what I heard. ;)

chocolate and whine said...

You're right... and that was one thing that made me pause for a second, but I'm just not willing to take away people's rights.

bj said...

This is a lie perpetrated by the Yes on 8 campaign in order to frighten people. By California law no child can be taught, against the will of their parents, anything about health and family issues at school. Sacramento Superior Court Judge Timothy Frawley has already ruled that this claim by Prop 8 proponents is "false and misleading." For more facts see http://www.noonprop8.com/about/fact-vs-fiction

The Attorney said...

I'm all for "live and let live", but I also believe this should remain out of government's hands, i.e., no legislation either way.

Let me show you the door that will be opened if the government legislates same-sex marriage.

If I am an apartment complex owner, and I want to exercise my right to rent to people who aren't gay and married, I can now be sued for discrimination.

This opens the door for potential litigation in jobs, housing, etc.

Sometimes, making something legal or illegal isn't always the best thing to do. Maybe you have to vote no on something because it's not the "right" law on the activity that government is trying to legislate.

Maybe it would be better to make a law that no state can legalize or illegalize gay marriage, and leave it up to the individuals.

Same as abortion. Even if I believe that abortion is not right, it should be up to the individual to take advantage of the lack of legislation. It's between the individual and God. But once you pass a law on it, it opens the door for all kinds of litigation, as it has since Roe v. Wade.

Christine said...

I looked up Prop. 8. and I am not even going to vote on it because I live in Utah.

Anyway, Leaping Woman, you are right. There is nothing in it about education and what should be taught in the schools. Based on that, I think that ANYBODY should be able to get married if they want to. Who are we to say no.

Unfortunately, it will end up being taught in schools. Because someone, somewhere will get pissed off that their way isn't being taught. (God, Cali. has gotten ridiculous.) And unfortunately again, Parents don't have total rights over their children's education. Try homeschooling in Cali. But, this is another argument for a different Prop. sometime in the future.

The Student said...

No on 8! Wooo!

About the child education thing though, I'm not so sure. I don't think that it should be taught in school at all, just like schools aren't allowed to teach about God, Jesus, etc...

InfamousQBert said...

thanks for linking to me! i have a post up about this specifically.
http://infamousqbert.wordpress.com/2008/10/29/write-to-marry/

Christine said...

So, What's the verdict??>????


She's an attorney
and she's busy.
Much too busy for
blogging, anyway.


You can visit her
here if you need
representation.

And you can view
all her posts here.